How to Get Involved
Ways to Become Involved in Your Child’s Education
at Vandalia Elementary School
Become a member of these committees:
School Site Council: Five parents and five staff members
Duties: Meet five times a year
- Assess the needs of the school program related to the need of the students.
- Agree on a comprehensive plan designed to improve the effectiveness of the school program following the latest state and federally mandated plan format.
- Review and agree on the system to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the program.
- Annually review the effectiveness of the program and develop appropriate revisions in the plan of activities.
English Language Acquisition Committee (ELAC)
Parents of second language learners meet 4 times a year
- Assess the needs of the ELD programs.
- Information on how the program is doing.
- State mandated reports
- Explanation of the CELDT test
- Guest Speakers from the community: Health care/ Higher Education/Adult School-English Course offered/Gangs/Parent strategies to help their children in school
P.T.O. – Parent and Teacher Organization
Vandalia does not have an active P.T.O. committee. We encourage parents to contact school administration if they are interested in forming this group. Having a Parent Teacher Organization assists with school activities which have a positive impact on the learning environment for all students. The group may plan activities and conduct fundraisers to purchase field trips, guest speakers/assemblies, and enrichment items that cannot be purchased with restricted State and Federal money.